I love Brené Brown’s Ted Talk on The Power of Vulnerability. I have watched it several times in the past few months. But a friend sent it to me again yesterday. I knew I had already heard it many times, but I listened again anyway. It’s amazing to me how much I got out of it, AGAIN, touching me in ways it didn’t before. It spoke to me for where I am now and what I am going through now. And it was exactly what I needed.
I’m learning that I am kind of hard on myself. I have been facing some things lately and needed this message at this exact time. Several things that Brené said hit me where I needed it:
- COURAGE is to tell the story of who you are with your whole heart.
- We need to have the COURAGE to be imperfect.
- Have the compassion to be kind to yourself first and then to others because as it turns out, we cannot show compassion to others if we can’t treat ourselves kindly.
- Be willing to let go of who you thought you should be in order to be who you are.
- We are imperfect and wired for struggle BUT we are worthy of love and belonging.
I could go on and on but those really hit me. I get so caught up in pleasing others that I forget to make myself happy first. Sometimes I don’t even realize I am doing it. Ok, not sometimes – more like most of the time.
My story is still being written and my journey is only beginning. I’m excited about these next few chapters. Stick around through the journey.